Related Meetings and Activities
Several optional activities will be offered during the week, some on Monday and Friday - make your travel plans so you can participate:
- National IPM Coordinator Meeting – To be held on Monday morning, 8:00-10:00 AM, Room 155B, Convention Center
- Regional IPM Coordinator Meetings – To be held Monday, 10:00 AM SERA-003 - 155A
- School and community field trip – meet at registration desk in Hall 1 by 12:45 AM
1. Hillside Middle School, Salt Lake City: Salt Lake City School District has a nationally-recognized IPM program, and has chosen to highlight this facility. Facility manager Gregg Smith will host, Ryan Davis of Utah State will talk about the program (and its recent expansion statewide); Marc Lame from Indiana University will also be present for the tour.
2. Frog Bench Farms: Literally around the corner from Hillside, Frog Bench Farms is a local commercial organic farm. Paula Sargetakis will welcome the group and talk about their spring work, which will be in full-swing at that time.
3. Wasatch Community Gardens: We will see one of the larger urban agricultural sites established by this non-profit organization. Susan Finlayson and her team will talk about their program and their pest pressures. They promote organic gardening practices, but pest management appears not to be the foremost issue associated with urban agriculture. - To be held on Monday afternoon, 1:00-5:00 PM. $25 USD per person
- Ag-based Field Trip – meet at registration desk in Hall 1 by 12:45 PM
1. Pettingill's Fruit Farm, Willard, UT: We will have a 45-60 ride north of Salt Lake City through an area called “Fruit Way” to this farm that practices IPM. Utah State Extension specialist Mike Pace will discuss a pheromone mating disruption program for the fruit borer.
2. Legacy Preserve, Farmington, UT: Headed back south, we will stop and and tour a portion of this wetland area that has been set aside from development. Eric McCulley of Intermountain Aquatics will talk about several aspects of the pest management efforts here, especially as related to the invasive reed, Phragmites. - To be held on Monday afternoon, 1:00-5:00 PM. - $25 USD per person
- Gylling Data Management ARM Workshop: Improve Experiment Quality using ARM 2015 - To be held on Monday afternoon, 1:00-5:00 PM - Room 155F, Convention Center. - One challenge of conducting experiments is designing the experiments to have a reasonable probability of distinguishing anticipated treatment differences. ARM software includes tools that assist with planning experiments, such as a statistical power test, a randomization quality review, and post-hoc power analysis. Using such tools can help improve the precision of upcoming experiments, and more efficiently plan follow-up experiments. Register at GDM website: http://gdmdata.com/Resources/Meeting%20Calendar - no cost.
- "Novel Applications of Geo-Technologies in Agriculture and Non-Agriculture IPM Decision Support" - To be held on Monday afternoon, 3:00-6:00 PM - Room 155B, Convention Center - $45.00 per person
- Welcome Reception - To be held on Monday evening, 5:30-7:30 PM - $25.00 per person.
- Stop School Pests – To be held on Tuesday evening, 6:30-8:30 PM
- "Evaluation and Assessment of IPM Programs" - To be held Friday morning, 8:00 AM-noon - Room 155E, Convention Center - $45.00 per person
WERA-1017 - A55C
NEERA-1004 - 155D
NCERA-222 - 155E
Special Invitation for Regional Meetings, IPM-Related Programs, and Informal Conferences
To save travel costs, take advantage of the opportunity to schedule meetings for your group or organization before the symposium on Monday, March 23 or after the symposium on March 27. Facilities have been reserved to accommodate such meetings. Several groups have already asked for space.
Meeting rooms are also available in the evenings during the event for informal conferences.
To reserve space for your group, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the name of the group, date and time desired, anticipated number of attendees, and preferred meeting room setup. For informal conferences, please include a brief proposal along with your request that will be reviewed by the program planning committee. The room rental fees will be covered by the IPM Symposium. Any food or audio-visual costs will be the responsibility of the meeting group.There is a limited amount of space, so space will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.